[Cob] Straw bales vs ?

GlobalCirclenet webmaster at globalcircle.net
Mon Jul 19 10:53:47 CDT 2004

Alfalfa and weeds aren't used for strawbale. The reason straw is used is
it's dry and it lacks the compounds in seeds and leaves that easily
decompose and mold. A storage shed is probably the only good use for any
bales.  The strawbale fad is wildly impractical for a house because 80% of
heat loss is through the ceiling, and that's not counting doors and windows
which you can't do without. You have to use regular insulation for the
roof. And then you must seal walls inside and out with plaster of some sort
and keep it maintained indefinitely so cracks don't let in moisture and
start mold. Or you get sick building syndrome. Strawbale done properly and
safely costs as much as stick built with regular insulation.

paul at largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net