[Cob] Straw bales vs ?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 17:33:05 CDT 2004

Baling contractors = those guys with the huge machines who travel with the
harvest for months each year?  Some of whom your local farmer may use for
harvest instead of buying his own many tens of thousands of dollars machine
that he'll only use for three days a year?

Good idea.  Or find someone who bales FOR the strawbale market.  There are
handfuls of those guys around as well, some with organically raised
grain/straw.

But, looking back to the original Nebraska (loadbearing) houses... The first
ones WERE HAY, not straw, from what I've read.  I've no idea how well the
then new high-tech balers worked.  But a few of the buildings are still
around.

There might be a difference between alfalfa--a legume--hay, and timothy--a
grass.  I don't know.

Most cob houses also get a layers of plaster inside and out for
waterproofing.

Lance replies to PJ
I'm not a strawbale expert but I have noticed advice on strawbale building
that says don't buy strawbales from farmers, go to baling contractors.  It
seems farmers can't be relied on for regular, equally dense bales and are
more likely to include weeds, seed heads etc.  as they only bale once a
year.   Regular equally dense bales are necessary if you are not to have
problems stacking the bales.

Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living. http://lexus.msn.com/