[Cob] strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Jul 22 21:11:30 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 01:21:47PM -0600, Dognyard wrote:
>> Which raises the inevitable question: how on earth would you keep moisture
>> out of the strawbales when you plaster it with cob inside and out?
>
>You don't. You let it breath. Just like a purely cob home. It's
>inevitable that moisture gets in. You just have to let it get back out again.

Yes. My understanding is that you get the moisture down to a certain
level then keep it there. If it fluctuates a little bit, no problem.
Even plaster breathes a little bit.  The key is that the internal
humidity never goes above a certain percentage.

I've never built a cob or straw bale house. Is this correct?

Jonathan

--
Eukleia: Jonathan Walther
Address: 12706 99 Ave, Surrey, BC V3V2P8 (Canada)