[Cob] strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos

GlobalCirclenet webmaster at globalcircle.net
Fri Jul 23 13:47:20 CDT 2004

Good discussion, huh. Lest I be misunderstood, Karen, my partner and I have
been do-it-yourselfers all our lives and we plan to build our own house
next year. We already do our own plumbing, painting, etc. etc. and we're
not "professionals" at any of this, though I do run a market garden and
bedding plant business.

But still I'd hesitate to do plastering or stucco without working alongside
an experienced builder or plasterer. Even though we make the extra effort
to do things right and do the research first. My concern is the typical
"alternative" type person who thinks they can cut corners or they know as
much as a professional. It just ain't so. It's not that most people can't
learn to do things; most people just don't have the determination and
sticktuitiveness to learn what must be learned, go outside and sweat or
shiver, and do a job right the first time.  I have to disagree on how easy
building is. Building to code is no laughing matter when they red tag your
house and you have to start ripping out work and hire someone who knows
what they're doing. It is beyond the ability or willingness of the average
person. Check some of the building code books on sale at the building
stores like Home Depot we have around here (maybe not in Alberta,
hopefully).

There's a valuable article How Not to Build Your Own House at
http://www.buzzburrell.com/bb/hownot.html .  It's also among the links on
my own Building For Life page at http://herbfarmer.net/buildinglife.htm .
See the menu on the left.

paul at largocreekfarms.com
http://herbfarmer.net

"Any housing solution that involves paying for industrially produced
building materials and commercial building contractors is doomed to certain
failure. If houses are to be built at all, in sufficient quantity, they
must be built without money. We must go right outside the framework of the
money system, bypass the factories, and ignore the contractors."  -- Hassan
Fathy