[Cob] the cobin is forming

orion walker orion_w at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 23 19:40:26 CDT 2004

   Hi there,

   My wife and I are buiding a small house, of cob and strawbale.  I
   wrote in a few months back, things have progressed a bit.  We have a
   foundatiion, rubble trench with 15 inch concrete stemwall on top of
   it.  We also have begun cobbing on the south wall sections, and have
   just about finished a nice cob sitting nook in one of the bay
   windows.  I'm hoping to start raising the post and beam structure in
   the next few days, and keep cobbing on the south wall.  Once we get
   the roof up, hopefully within a month or so, then we'll have a bail
   raising party for the strawbale sides.

   I am one of those inexperienced folks that has decided to leap in on
   faith, and hope that I can figure it all out as we go.  So far it's
   all going pretty good, though slower and more expensive than I would
   like (as are most things in life).

   We'd love to have help, so if you want to get your hands dirty, come
   on by.  We've got plenty of room for camping.  We are ten miles
   outside of Ukiah, which is on 101, about two hours north of San
   Francisco.

   Thanks,

   -Orion
   Orion Walker
   PO Box 85
   Ukiah CA 95482
   (707)-272-2352

   >From: coblist-request at deatech.com >Reply-To: coblist at deatech.com >To:
   coblist at deatech.com >Subject: Coblist Digest, Vol 2, Issue 62 >Date:
   Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:44:58 -0700 > >Send Coblist mailing list
   submissions to > coblist at deatech.com > >To subscribe or unsubscribe
   via the World Wide Web, visit >
   http://www.deatech.com/mailman/listinfo/coblist >or, via email, send a
   message with subject or body 'help' to > coblist-request at deatech.com >
   >You can reach the person managing the list at >
   coblist-owner at deatech.com > >When replying, please edit your Subject
   line so it is more specific >than "Re: Contents of Coblist digest..."
   > > >Today's Topics: > > 1. Re: strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos
   (GlobalCirclenet) > 2. Re: strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos
   (Dognyard) > 3. Re: Re: [Cob] thermal mass, insulation and "Ianto
   says" > (Shannon C. Dealy) > 4. RE: Re: [Cob] strawbale, geodesic
   domes, and igloos (Marlin) > 5. RE: Re: [Cob] strawbale, geodesic
   domes, and igloos > (David Knowlton) > 6. Re: strawbale, geodesic
   domes, and igloos (GlobalCirclenet) > 7. RE: strawbale, geodesic
   domes, and igloos (Bonnie Morse) > 8. tit for tat ... professionals
   vs. amateurs (Mary Lou McFarland) > 9. Re: strawbale, geodesic domes,
   and igloos (Dognyard) > >
   - > >Message: 1 >Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:36:49 -0600 >From:
   "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster at globalcircle.net> >Subject: Re: [Cob]
   strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos >To: coblist at deatech.com
   you're saying about plastering with cob as opposed to the >usual cob
   material and process, as I said in reply to the other post, so >I'm
   not ruling it out. What I'd like to stress though, is the plastering
   >either way is not for amateurs. Yet amateurs are the only ones trying
   straw >bale or cob. I think amateurs should be forewarned about the
   difficulty and >mold risks of not getting it right and maintaining it
   over the years. The >alternative is paying professional plasterers and
   then you get into serious >money. For non-builders to play around with
   alternative methods and >materials is inviting disappointment or
   disaster, and those pushing these >alternatives without the drawbacks
   aren't helping the cause of >sustainability and energy efficiency. >
   SEPARATOR *********** > >On 7/23/2004 at 11:03 AM Amanda Peck wrote: >
   > >That link seems to have been taken directly (with or without
   permission) > >from Cedar Rose's book on natural plasters. > > >
   >Here's the link to the book from Charmaine Taylor: > > >
   >http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/natplasbook.html > > > >Yes, she IS a
   professional PLASTERER. While she does mention SB and I > >seem > >to
   remember cob, the three-coat procedure is straight from the old-time >
   >plastering manuals, whether what you are plastering on is straw-bale,
   cob, > > >or what you run into in old houses, wood or metal lath over
   studs. > > > >As a professional, she would be concerned to have her
   work look smooth, no > > >wrinkles, all the irregularities from the
   substrate smoothed out. In a > >word, gorgeous. > > > >Is it necessary
   for amateurs to achieve that level of perfection? Up to > >you. But
   that IS how you get it. > > > >High-end woodworkers tend to think that
   sandpaper is for the birds, that > >the > >best finish comes from
   plane and scraper, not sandpaper. I agree, I know > >why, but I'd
   really be more likely to use rough-sawn than go through all > >that
   work and the nice long learning curve only to find that I liked the >
   >funky look at least as well. > > > >As recently as six or seven years
   ago, the standard finish for straw bales > > >in my area was still
   concrete pumped onto the surface by somebody used to > >doing swimming
   pools. One of the buildings I was familiar with was > >further >
   >covered with latex paint (I screamed about it, but....). A couple of
   > >years > >later it had what was thought to be a mold problem. We
   drilled lots of > >holes through the concrete inside the building in
   order to both pinpoint > >the > >source of the problem and let it
   breathe. All I ever smelled was nice > >fresh > >straw. I wonder now
   if the problem was really a leak in the silo-type > >roof > >onto the
   straw in bags up in the attic. > > > >And, a couple of months ago, I
   heard that the people were still happy > >enough > >with the building
   to be planning a larger straw-bale structure. > > > >Shannon's right.
   Lots and lots of ways to get all of this done. > > > >............ >
   >Paul wrote (snipped): > >http://www.webace.com.au/~agstraw/cedar.html
   just doesn't support sealing > >strawbale with cob. > > > >It's
   clearly about thin coats of plaster, not cob at > >all. It recommends
   earthen plasters. The difference is significant because > >cob is not
   the same as earthen or any other kind of plaster. Plaster is >
   11:14:31 -0600 >From: Dognyard <dognyard at stockroom.ca> >Subject: Re:
   [Cob] strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos >To: coblist at deatech.com
   non-builders to play around with alternative methods and > > materials
   is inviting disappointment or disaster, and those pushing these > >
   alternatives without the drawbacks aren't helping the cause of > >
   sustainability and energy efficiency. > >Oh! Oh! > >I beg to differ.
   What you are calling non-builders, I will, for the >moment call
   inexperienced builders. And an inexperienced builder is only >that for
   a short time :-). I am, somewhat, an inexpereinced builder, but >that
   sure doesn't deter me from learning to do something myself and to
   >avoid depending on expensive alternatives. Building a house is
   technical >to a degree, but it isn't rocket science. It can be learned
   fairly >easily - either hands on (seminars, etc.), or with lots of
   reading and >research - IF, one is amenable to learning to do it
   correctly. > >When it comes to plastering, though, it is even less
   technical. There >are things you need to know to do it correctly, but
   to me it is more >artistic than technical - especially when it comes
   to the finishing layers. > >So owner-built homes may not be for
   everyone, and some people may indeed >not be capable of learning to do
   it well enough to pass codes, etc., but >I do believe that MOST people
   are entirely capable. And even those who >cannot learn, are more
   likely too stubborn to listen to good advice and >follow it, and not
   incapable of learning at all. > >See, I have a tendency to go against
   the popular opinion that "the >masses" area an uneducated lot. On the
   contrary, they are smart enough >to want to build their own homes and
   not be in debt for the rest of >their lives, then they are smart
   enough to learn how to plaster a wall correctly. > >Oh...and depending
   on "professionals" if you happen to have the money to >do so, is
   certainly no guarantee a job is done properly. If I do >something
   wrong, I have no one to blame but myself, and I just get busy >and fix
   it. If someone else messes it up, then I have to waste good time >and
   energy in chasing them to try and get it rectified - often to no
   >avail. I have way more confidence in myself than I do in any
   stranger. > >I am just now FINALLY getting do something in cob! (YAY
   ME!). I am >building a pump house (stick built from scavenged material
   - so far it >has cost me about $18 and I think I have to go buy a bit
   of plywood, so >maybe another $50 all together), and along one wall, I
   have put in a >stone foundation and will be building, essentially, a
   garden wall. It is >not part of the pump house itself, but will lean
   up against it. So I >will get to play with some finishing on that
   wall, including the finer >earthen plasters as I finish it. > >Karen
   in Alberta > > > >------------------------------ > >Message: 3 >Date:
   Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:21:28 -0700 (PDT) >From: "Shannon C. Dealy"
   <dealy at deatech.com> >Subject: Re: Re: [Cob] thermal mass, insulation
   and "Ianto says" >To: Amanda Peck <ap615 at hotmail.com> >Cc:
   coblist at deatech.com >Message-ID: >
   <Pine.LNX.4.44.0407231000100.1259-100000 at critter.deatech.com>
   Amanda Peck wrote: > >[snip] > > I'm too lazy to look it up, but as I
   remember it "IANTO SAYS" that you're > > fine in a house you actually
   live in full-time with cob and no extra wall > > insulation. If you're
   going to use the building as a once-a-week community >[snip] > >I
   think some context is probably missing here, like what climate the
   house >is in, and/or what heating system, etc. Linda and Ianto's
   Cottage is >heated (rocket bench stove of course), and designs they
   have done for >colder climates have included things like a bale wrap
   to make up for cob's >poor insulation. You are not going to generate
   enough heat from just >living in a cob house to keep it warm, unless
   it is in a climate >where your three to five day average temperatures
   rarely gets low >enuogh to need heat, or the house is: really small,
   connected to the >grid, uses incandescent lighting and you leave it on
   alot. Might not >work even then, particularly in colder climates. >
   >Shannon C. Dealy | DeaTech Research Inc. >dealy at deatech.com | -
   Custom Software Development - > | Embedded Systems, Real-time, Device
   Drivers >Phone: (800) 467-5820 | Networking, Scientific & Engineering
   Applications > or: (541) 929-4089 | www.deatech.com > > > >
   >------------------------------ > >Message: 4 >Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004
   13:58:27 -0400 >From: "Marlin" <lightearth at onebox.com> >Subject: RE:
   Re: [Cob] strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos >To:
   dognyard at stockroom.ca,coblist at deatech.com >Message-ID:
   <B0031941937 at vljcms10.ucmretail.internal.callsciences.com>
   Building is varied...some are professionals and many are learning
   individuals. Agree that depending on 'professionals' doesn't guarantee
   that you get what you want, but does guarantee that you'll need a good
   deal of money = time, in a different way. > >If the only way that
   people can build is to do it themselves then it makes sense to do as
   much education and sharing of labor and info as possible. Thought that
   was what the Coblist was all about? > >I wonder how much of a disaster
   or disappointment is likely when people learn from working on someone
   else's project (and making a few mistakes themselves) and thereby
   understand (again) many intuitive things about building that we knew
   even as kids? > > vs. > >How much empowerment and sense of belonging
   here on Earth are gained by building with your own hands, in a style
   that makes sense for your climate and technical skill level. It's
   important to be realistic about both........... > >WRapup: I think
   there's ways to build a good solid building that requires fairly low
   technical skill levels (and associated expensive machinery) and are
   good for the Earth's future inhabitants. Strawbale might not be for
   everyone and there's def. a misunderstanding out there in the public
   about the realities of getting a house made that looks like their
   favorite coffee table book. But there's NO reason, with local straw,
   clay, rock, timbers (and in our case urban waste materials) that a
   group of semi skilled (or uneducated but trained) folks couldn't get
   together and build a structure that will OUTLAST many 'professional'
   homes - not too mention their toxic characteristics. > > >Marlin
   Nissen > > > info at outtathebox.org > www.outtathebox.org >"There are
   solutions to the major problems of our time, some of them even simple.
   But they require a radical shift in our perceptions, our thinking, and
   our values." > - [Fritjof Capra] > > > >-----Original Message-----
   >From: Dognyard <dognyard at stockroom.ca> >Sent: Fri, 23 Jul 2004
   11:14:31 -0600 >To: coblist at deatech.com >Subject: Re: [Cob] strawbale,
   geodesic domes, and igloos > > > >GlobalCirclenet wrote: > > > > For
   in Alberta > >_______________________________________________ >Coblist
   18:30:21 +0000 >From: "David Knowlton" <pilot1ab80 at hotmail.com>
   lightearth at onebox.com, dognyard at stockroom.ca, coblist at deatech.com
   >my home is not an investment - appreciation of its value just costs
   me >more taxes. it is valuable to me because i 're' built it myself. >
   >david > > > >From: "Marlin" <lightearth at onebox.com> > >To:
   dognyard at stockroom.ca,coblist at deatech.com > >Subject: RE: Re: [Cob]
   strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos > >Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004
   13:58:27 -0400 > > > >The state of Natural Building is varied...some
   http://lexus.msn.com/ > > > > >------------------------------ >
   strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos >To: coblist at deatech.com
   huh. Lest I be misunderstood, Karen, my partner and I have >been
   do-it-yourselfers all our lives and we plan to build our own house
   >next year. We already do our own plumbing, painting, etc. etc. and
   we're >not "professionals" at any of this, though I do run a market
   garden and >bedding plant business. > >But still I'd hesitate to do
   plastering or stucco without working alongside >an experienced builder
   or plasterer. Even though we make the extra effort >to do things right
   and do the research first. My concern is the typical >"alternative"
   type person who thinks they can cut corners or they know as >much as a
   professional. It just ain't so. It's not that most people can't >learn
   to do things; most people just don't have the determination and
   >sticktuitiveness to learn what must be learned, go outside and sweat
   or >shiver, and do a job right the first time. I have to disagree on
   how easy >building is. Building to code is no laughing matter when
   they red tag your >house and you have to start ripping out work and
   hire someone who knows >what they're doing. It is beyond the ability
   or willingness of the average >person. Check some of the building code
   books on sale at the building >stores like Home Depot we have around
   here (maybe not in Alberta, >hopefully). > >There's a valuable article
   How Not to Build Your Own House at
   >http://www.buzzburrell.com/bb/hownot.html . It's also among the links
   on >my own Building For Life page at
   http://herbfarmer.net/buildinglife.htm . >See the menu on the left. >
   >paul at largocreekfarms.com >http://herbfarmer.net > >"Any housing
   solution that involves paying for industrially produced >building
   materials and commercial building contractors is doomed to certain
   >failure. If houses are to be built at all, in sufficient quantity,
   they >must be built without money. We must go right outside the
   framework of the >money system, bypass the factories, and ignore the
   contractors." -- Hassan >Fathy > >*********** REPLY SEPARATOR
   12:04:33 -0700 >From: "Bonnie Morse" <bonnie.morse at content-mgmt.com>
   >Subject: RE: [Cob] strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos >To:
   <coblist at deatech.com> >Message-ID: >
   <NOEJLLELMNNFELDCMLHKEENKCFAA.bonnie.morse at content-mgmt.com>
   this will suffer the consequences. And probably learn >from their
   mistakes. But that doesn't mean that other people shouldn't do >it. >
   coblist-bounces at deatech.com [mailto:coblist-bounces at deatech.com]On
   14:25:15 -0500 >From: "Mary Lou McFarland" <louiethefifth at hotmail.com>
   >Subject: [Cob] tit for tat ... professionals vs. amateurs >To:
   coblist at deatech.com >Message-ID:
   <BAY18-F14waD0UUuNYo00006809 at hotmail.com> >Content-Type: text/plain;
   format=flowed > >My husband got a new comuter game so I've been off
   for a few days. As I'm >reading several days of letters at one time
   ,I'm struck by the amount of >rancor shown. Can't really say I agree
   with any one person or another about >a lot of the thoughts and issues
   expressed. I am mesmerized by the look of >cob but with my climate I
   shall probably have to go hybrid, whether it is >cob-wood or involving
   straw in some way. Can't really say I see more mold >in one structure
   than another as my experience is so limited. Though as hot >as it has
   been here with the high humidity our refrigerator seals fairly
   >bloomed with the stuff in just two days time. I clean it off, because
   >that's what you do. We are currently living in a circa 1887 balloon
   framed >Queen Anne "I" style cottage. We have done a lot of work on
   her. Some by >ourselves and some "professionally" done. To date, I
   have not been happy >with any work that has been hired out. I have
   been lied to , cheated or >just plain and simple had shoddy quality
   work done. I've gotten over being >mad about it,but I sure know that I
   can do better. I heard once that an >amateur is someone who does a
   thing for the love of it....that doesn't mean >stupid or ignorant. I'm
   just not getting paid. When I start building, my >little farmstead
   will probably be fairly eclectic. I want my out house >NOW!! so it
   will probably be stick built out of recycled lumber. The run in >shed
   for the pony will be just cob. The barn might be cob and bale with
   >some timber framing to accomodate some spans and I'm leaning towards
   >cob-wood for the cabin with all earthen plasters. I think being
   inclusive >with our building materials, not so exclusive, might be
   more enriching and >educational. After all, cob is is being touted as
   a flexible and forgiving >building medium, so let's try everything. I
   like the look of the old style >cob in Devon, England . That's just me
   . That doesn't mean that the round >cobs aren't beautiful too. We can
   be inclusive on shape too. I don't think >this process is going to
   bring about a single homogenous look.....and would >we want it to?
   Perhaps like our building medium, we should be a little more >flexible
   and forgiving and in the meantime....has anyone tried crumbled corn
   >cobs as an insulation medium? They are fairly light and might
   possibly be >easy to acquire in agricultural areas. Might be condusive
   to a light clay >treatment as well. >
   >Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living.
   http://lexus.msn.com/ > > > > >------------------------------ >
   >Message: 9 >Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:42:59 -0600 >From: Dognyard
   <dognyard at stockroom.ca> >Subject: Re: [Cob] strawbale, geodesic domes,
   and igloos >To: coblist at deatech.com >Message-ID:
   <41016A42.2E3B5ACA at stockroom.ca> >Content-Type: text/plain;
   charset=us-ascii > > > >GlobalCirclenet wrote: > > > > Good
   discussion, huh. > >LOL!! I was just thinking the same thing :-).
   Please don't take this the >wrong way, but you came across as
   difficult and argumentative at the >outset, but you HAVE sparked a
   very interesting discussion! > > > But still I'd hesitate to do
   plastering or stucco without working alongside > > an experienced
   builder or plasterer. > >I have often thought that when I get to an
   age I can actually retire, >that I would like to volunteer on a short
   term basis with various trades >- including plasters, masons, etc - to
   learn in exchange for helping out >- even if it's just being the
   "gofer". I can learn a lot from >observation alone. I can rarely
   afford to travel far or to pay seminar >fees, so most seminars are out
   of the question for me. So for now, it's >books when I can afford
   them, and the kindness of folks on lists like >these to help me learn.