[Cob] thermal mass, insulation and "Ianto says"

Quinn quinn1 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 29 11:54:27 CDT 2004

Another consideration that no one has mentioned is -how warm is warm?

As a thin 40-something woman, I always find that I am cold while at work at the hardware store where the temperature is kept around 68.  Nearly everyone else is male and quite comfortable.  I also sing in a women's chorus where nearly everyone else is significantly overweight, they are also comfortable where the few thin one's of us wear sweaters in the air-conditioned room.

Without records of ambient temperatures inside cob or strawbale or alternative buildings (given various climates, building size, other variables) and a foreknowledge of one's temperature comfort level, it would be hard to say what would 'work' for one person or another even in a similar environment.  [For instance, two dogs wouldn't keep me warm in upstate NY winters even if I were sandwiched between them!  ; )  ]

Quinn