FW: Re: [Cob] North Carolina Workshop costs

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 18:25:26 CDT 2004

Of course Phil is right.

Sometimes these will be led by somebody very very good.  The time we were
plastering a straw bale chapel, the man teaching us was--still is--just
super.

And we did a good job the time that six of us got together to do my floor.
I did feel a bit like it was a case of the blind leading the blind there,
but, the job got done.
Phil Hawn forgot to send this to everybody:

There are groups (like The North Carolina Natural Building Coalition) that
offer free workshops nearly every weekend during the summer. Our experience
may be limited but already this summer we have learned to raise a strawbale
wall, make natural plasters, build a dry stack stone wall, mix cob and lay
cordwood. We may even get to start a cob wall before the season is over and
we already have one or two ovens planned for September. The learning
opportunities are out there and in some case they are even free.

Phil Hawn, President
The North Carolina Natural Building Coalition
http://naturalbuilder.org
cob, strawbale, cordwood and other sustainable earthbuilding techniques