[Cob] RE: Stone in cob

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:26:48 CDT 2004

Probably.

For sure Rob Roy and Ianto Evans did some cordwood masonry with cob as
mortar.

A propos of not a whole lot, I've been reading a mystery story involving an
earthquake.  Author gives lots of information about earthquakes.  Her point
is that the sizes and shapes of particles in mortar are what is important,
not all the same, and for sure not all rounded.  (Sarah Andrews, Fault Line)
Brent Flaco Wilson writes:

Has anyone ever built a home using stones with cob as mortar?  Given you
have a rubble trench footing.  Also interested in "plastering a cob home on
the south facing sidewith stone, perhaps like veneer stones, flag stones, or
mayb embedding smooth flat stones gatherd from the coast.  The stones will
be great for insulation-radiation purposes.  I guess one could do a whole
room on the interior that way with stones, coral, shells, and starfish for
the bathroom beach effect.  I have seen cob benches in portland with mosaic
work so this idea of stones seems reasonable?