[Cob] Sodium silicate (water gladd)

Barbara Roemer and Glenn Miller roemiller at infostations.net
Mon Aug 23 20:34:44 CDT 2004

Susan sez,  "Has anyone tried Sodium silicate - water glass? ...and
...Chemically it seems safe - it was used as a preservative for
eggs, among other things...."

Yeah, but mercury thermometers and iodine were used for years before we knew
better.  I haven't used it in the way you mention (slip in molds), but
considered applying it over the earth plaster above the kitchen sink as a
waterproofing agent.  I did samples under the counters and it worked well,
but the admonitions on the bottle deterred me from putting it in a food
prep. area because of the possibility of it coming off in minute qualities
as I cleaned the wall.  I found no chemical supply house that would sell me
1-5 gals, but there must be some.  Ended up getting it through a pharmacy,
and if I were to use it would speak to a pharmacist about its toxicity.