[Cob] Sodium silicate

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 20:15:13 CDT 2004

I was pretty sure that I'd seen waterglass in conjunction with plasters.
but I couldn't find much at least on the first pages on line.  I think this
one has been posted here before, fairly recently (think plastering)
Appropriate bit quoted in full below.  I think Carol Crews prefers powdered
milk:

http://www.networkearth.org/naturalbuilding/aliz.html

"Sodium Silicate is an ingredient used in slip-casting to keep the particles
of clay afloat in the water, and is useful in this context as well. A very
small amount is required. It will also thicken the mixture somewhat,..."
+++++++++++++

British version of a MSDS on the stuff.  It doesn't say much--ain't kind to
mucus, but as industrial chemicals go it sounds pretty harmless.

membranes.http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/SO/sodium_silicate.html

++++++++++++++

Next guys indicate that "Sodium silicates serve a wide range of end-use
applications, among them soap and detergent formulations, paper adhesion,
paint and pigments, catalysts and metal cleaning."  Unless you're into
carloads of the stuff, I doubt if the link is worth pursuing.

http://www.oxychem.com/products/silicates/default.html

+++++++++++++++++++++

It is used in fireproofing as well

http://www.angelfire.com/nc/isoptera/

By Charles Weber, MS (his email and phone were added here--you could get
them back easily, just click on the link)

This article presents an effective and inexpensive way of fire proofing
wooden buildings using sodium silicate solution. There is also a technique
of using aluminum foil for wood and Portland cement additives for protecting
asphalt roof shingles against fire and ultraviolet light.

If wood is coated with sodium silicate solution the wood will no longer
support combustion after it dries. This procedure is satisfactory for any
wood not rained on such as basement beams, attic beams, wall studs, or
unpainted wooden walls (in warehouses for instance). Not only is the
material very inexpensive, but so is the labor. It can be sprayed on quickly
with an ordinary garden insecticide sprayer, as well as all the usual tools
for applying paint. It is also practical to dip wood.

.......I have even sprayed the diluted silicate into my eyes accidentally,
with no obvious harm other than the sting one gets from soap in the eyes. I
have not had full strength sodium silicate in my eyes, so use caution.
Sodium silicate is caustic and will etch glass eventually, so it may be that
you should not wear expensive prescription glasses when working with it.