[Cob] wood stove

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Thu Aug 26 08:58:38 CDT 2004

The main problem with trying to replace a rocket stove with a wood stove in a
cob bench is that they are designed to operate in completely different ways.
A rocket stove is designed to operate at really high temperatures for short
periods of time and to heat rock and cob in a bench. A wood stove is designed to
heat air for a long period of time at very low temperatures.
    Think about this with a wood stove you come in to a cold room start a
fire. In a few minutes the room is warm, you cut down the air supply and the wood
stove operates at a low temperature for a long period of time producing all
kinds of pollution. Running exhaust gasses through a cob bench will not change
this scenario. The air will always heat up faster than the stone in the bench
and while you may be saving some of the heat by running it through a bench the
heat stored by and given off by the bench will be minor compared to the heat
given off by the stove. To operate the stove at temperatures proper for a
bench would mean intensely hot fires for short periods of time. It can be done
with a wood stove, but it is not the best idea for comfort.
    By the way I have a 14 X 24 inch stainless steel tank that I picked up
from the trash. It is a little on the small side for a rocket, but I think it
will work. If anyone wants to try it is available. I live 6 miles south of
Washington, DC.
Ed