[Cob] wood stove--- heads up

Bill&Julie wbates at mn.rr.com
Thu Aug 26 19:49:50 CDT 2004

Hidare,, ~¿~ In any design, sizing is important.

If you design a stove to heat your whole house, and be efficient at -20°f,,

Then any temperature above that you will have to throw away energy.

By that I mean, cooling the fire by closing the draft, allows smoke to

go up the chimney unburnt..All smoke that is HOT enough will burn...

Side note: When the smoke reaches a place in the chimney that is

cold enough it will sweat and run back down the chimney as creosote.

So,, How important is efficiency,, and how important is the magical

100% efficiency???

In Northern Minnesota,, the trend is towards the OUTSIDE FURNACE..

The beauty of these is to leave the draft open until the wood is gone,

allowing enough air to combust all of the fuel at a high temperature.

Trapping the heat in a well insulated water jacket, and then pumping

the hot water into the house as needed for what ever warmth that is needed.

Search the web,, there are many examples of these...

Back to the bottom line,,, did Granddad survive in his 50% efficient house?

Must we spend tens of thousands dollars to save a few hundreds???

Find a good design, and use it... Don't worry if your 83% system is not

as good as some guys 84.5% system..

Things to ponder Bill