[Cob] Newbie w/ Questions about 1st project

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 13 10:29:29 CDT 2004

welcome Kathy

somewhere I read recently that the only REALLY stupid question is the one
that isn't asked.

And none of us has ever, EVER changed our minds in the middle of a project.
Not since the last time, anyway.

Picture looks good!

As long as you don't get hung up about slaking your own lime--and you can
find it locally--hydrated lime is no big deal, get a bag or three soaking in
something.  I'm using olive barrels, and regret it--Charmaine Taylor
recommends Rubbermaid Roughneck tubs--she's probably right.  She's also the
resident expert on hypertufa, about which I know nothing except I'd like to
try it one of these days.

But I did a tiny sample for my earthen floor last year--put linseed oil on
it (first coat mostly mineral spirits, second half and half, third mostly
linseed oil--there ARE nicer things to use than mineral spirits), just left
it outside over the winter--and our winter rains.  As long as you dry it
off, you'd have no problems at all sitting on it.  I'd guess it won't last
forever, but....

Kathy wrote:
how to "weatherproof" this thing withOUT erecting a roof over it.

Also, how to make it so that when weather is damp outside, when you sit down
on it, it doesn't leave one with a muddy rear end (lol!)

Initially I thought, that laying down hardware mesh and simply hypertufa-ing
over it to make it look like stones was the way I'd go, but if I understand
things correctly the tufa will soak moisture in and transmit it down to the
cob so I'm thinking this won't work...

Or would hypertufa stones work as long as I laid a piece of plastic over the
top of the last layer of cob?

Or perhaps simply sealing the tufa to make it waterproof would do the trick?

I know I could lime plaster the cob...but I'd rather NOT mess about with
lime if I can possibly stay away from it.

Any and all advice would be very welcome!

Kathy