[Cob] Lime slaking

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 09:10:47 CDT 2004

I'm not going to be a lot of help.  I looked at the pictures of/instructions
for/precautions with slaking lime and decided it was "don't try this at
home."

But it sounds rather as though you haven't gotten the quicklime completely
slaked.  I do know what hydrated lime added to water looks and feels like.
Silk.

Charmaine Taylor uses plastic tubs because it's hard (says the person who is
using olive barrels) to get stuff out of the lower half of the barrel.
Don't know about steel.  You'll find out!

"Water" just sits on top of the lime putty.  What's there is a saturated
solution of what you can use for limewash.  Add more water, eventually it
resaturates.  No biggie.

Robert wrote:

I just started slaking my lime and have some questions for the list. My
first mix was 100 gallons water to 200 pounds quicklime. This resulted in a
very vigorous mix but when I attempted to screen it through a window screen
I had a lot of stuff that would not go through  and it was quite difficult
to screen. I am storing the mixture in steel 55 gallon drums- any issues
there?

Does anyone know the proper proportion of quicklime to water for lime putty?
what should the consistency be when it is the proper ratio?
What size sieve or screen is used after slaking?
Can water be added to the mix after slaking but before screening?
How much water should be on the lime in the barrel for maturation? Does the
amount change as the putty ages?

thanks for your help

Robert

"Sentiment without Action is the ruin of the soul"
       -Edward Abbey