[Cob] RE: weatherproofing w/ linseed oil; hypertufa w/ cob; sculpting w/ cob

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 10:37:15 CDT 2004

Apparently cob mixtures can vary all over the place, depending on how sandy
your clay is (Kim in Arkansas uses 2:1, and it seems to work fine, I've used
too little sand in my chinking mixes for the log cabin, think I really need
to go to about 4:1 if it will stick together, but there's a fair amount of
lime in that mix)

The big crop of cob sculptures seems to be with cob ovens--dragons, turkeys,
frogs, as well as decorations on regular looking hornos.  Kiko Denzer's book
has some pictures.  A quick look into my totally disorganized favorites list
didn't come up with much, although I think that there are some there..

Thanks to everyone for suggestions/input...appreciate it!  If any one can
direct me to sites where they focus on COB used as a freestanding sculpting
material (as opposed to sculpting on walls, etc. I'd really appreciate that
too!

P.S.  Amanda, you are not the ONLY one for whom a clay/sand mix of 3:1
works...that's my mix too!  Most of the standardly suggested COB mix
proportions for me didn't work at all!  Guess it would be good to understand
why exactly BUT once ya figure out what works does it matter? Why overburden
one's brain, eh?