[Cob] cob lime proof paints, Steens on finishing earthen floors

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 18:10:51 CDT 2004

Wandering around search results--not for lime proof paints--but I found them
here.  11 bucks a pound, presumably plus shipping and applicable taxes:

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/powder.html

Coloring Concrete
Here are some general guidelines although each pigment will have a different
opacity ratio. So you may need less of Red than you do of Yellow Ochre.

Light pastel shades will require 1 to 3 pounds of pigment per 94 pounds of
Portland cement
Medium pastels will require 4 to 5 pounds of pigment per 94 pounds of
Portland cement
Darker shades will require 7 to 9 pounds of pigments per 94 pounds of
Portland cement
Never use more than 10 pounds per 94 pound Portland mix.

http://solstice.crest.org/discussion/strawbale/200210/msg00093.html

In our experience we have confined our use of linseed oils to those that
are raw.  We place them in a shallow pan, cover with a piece of glass
leaving a tiny air space all around so that it can partially oxidize and
therefore improve drying.  Virtually any commercially available boiled
linseed oil is full of toxic driers and therefore the awful smells.  The
other problem with boiled linseed oils is that they tend to form a
film-like skin that further inhibits drying.