[Cob] Biased information on Lime Slaking

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed Sep 15 18:11:00 CDT 2004

Sorry, but this is an example of   a knowledgeable lime user ( and I
know Jane, she knows me) knocking  THEIR OWN LIME,  and  there is NO
problem with US made lime, it is not inferior in any way.

Please call GenLime in Ohio, or Western/ChemStar lime in Nevada and
talk to a scientist..THEN report back to be fair........ They are
required meet high ASTM standards for lime bagged for use in MANY big
industries,

Offering just a paragraph from a UK booklet ( based on ONE person's
opinion of lime in HER country)  is NOT fair to US producers ( why I am
defending them?)  Because over time many people will read this
unbalanced email info, and go off looking to slake their own quicklime
etc.. endlessly repeating  information obtained from online...   After
seven years of seeing this come up every 4 weeks, I can tell you  that
it is .not a fair representation  of what is good and avaialble, and
may cause problems and misinformation to continue each time someone
reads that.

  I have explained over and over that IS limes are properly hydrated to
make great plasters and mortars.. The White house is restored with
hydrated limes, etc.   The building trade use of lime in the US is
TINY, and natural builders do not have a lot of choice in obtaining
quicklime anyway, and fewer have the skills to do it properly.
Improperly handled quicklime can burn, explode, be dead drowned or
overburned during hydration etc..

While I am happy you can slake your own quicklime...please be aware
your implication is that others should too... is that what you meant
Robert?

Charmaine Taylor Publishing    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  -- 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  &  www.papercrete.com
NEW!  dirtcheapbuilder CD Info- 4,000+ Pdf pages- $7.