[Cob] Alum and Soap over horizontal Lime Plaster surfaces?

Quinn quinn1 at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 15 19:14:49 CDT 2004

Given that you'd mixed the soap with acrylic, I think its safe to say that the acrylic is what's containing it.  Liquid dish soap is detergent in any case, not really soap, though I don't know if that's what people use when they mean soap.

Unless the soap and alum combo polymerizes somehow, and it's possible -I'm not a chemist, I still don't understand how it would work.  I see where Bill Steen mentions it, but no specifics are mentioned.  I'd need to experiment or have someone give me a deeper explanation.  Anyone?

As for the bench, no I would hope no one would be taking a bite out of it!  But if they plan to sit on it with shorts on for any length of time it might not be a good idea-- although as Amanda pointed out, it is used in fabric dying (traditional) so it couldn't be too bad for the skin.

If you use it, let us know if anyone gets rashes and then we'll know!

Quinn