[Cob] cob: sand

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 09:49:53 CDT 2004

My recollection is that there are basically two types of sand.

Silica sand often (not always) has nice sharp edges, which are what you want
for most building purposes.  It's also what gets melted down for glass.

Coral--or ancient coral, i.e., limestone--sand.  What you find on tropical
beaches, for THE MOst part (there's a very active kitten helping me this
morning!).  And from the search I just did, the Aquarium people hate it.

I gather that rounded sand is particularly dreadful for mortar.  IIRC, the
cob books recommend against coral or any rounded sand.

Aha! found a link that says what I want it to! (South Carolinians pronounce
their town Beeuw-fort, in North Carolina it's Bo-fort).

http://www.co.beaufort.sc.us/bftlib/beachsan.htm

For more than you ever wanted to know about why rounded sand is bad for
building, read Sara Andrews' mystery Fault Line (it's available in what's
called MASS MARKET paperback, which means NO DISCOUNT when buying it
on-line), my nearest--not-very-good but a real bookstore--bookstore carries
it, so yours might too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312253508/104-3371032-2299116?v=glance