[Cob] How warm must it be to work?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 23 12:29:12 CDT 2004

Sounds wonderful!

Somehow I don't think I'm getting mine done this fall.

I don't think that cob, or pure clay/sand or even clay/sand/perlite mixtures
"set" the way that lime or concrete does.  So the problem is freezing while
it's still too wet not to get ice crystals extruding an inch up from the
clay the way I vividly remember from my red clay childhood.

Or it's too cold to mix barefoot.

I was thinking for myself (I've for sure missed the optimum building time
for my location) that if I had a roof up, I could tent the whole mess and
put some sort of heater on top of the oven, in the oven, or
something--propane, kerosene, even electric--on cold nights.

It will, however, take longer to dry in cool weather, if only because cool
air holds less water than hot.

I've always loved that Edison quote!

Peter wrote (snipped):
For my insulating layer to set properly, what daytime or nighttime
temperature range will work best for it?

--
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison (1847-1931)