[Cob] How warm must it be to work?

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Mon Oct 25 14:51:54 CDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Joseph R Dupont wrote:

> What is the deal with kitty litter. Is it clay or not?
> If it is could you mix it with paperpulp and  make some kind of adobe?
[snip]

Not sure what this has to do with the oven discussion, but most if not all
"clumping" cat litters are nothing but ground up, dried, bentonite clay
(in some cases with additives, though if you look for the more generic
brands, they are often pure clay -- check the label).  I'm not
sure about the make up of other types of cat litters, probably
best to check the label.  Bentonite can be very useful as an additive for
certain types of mixtures (like paints and plasters), but it expands and
contracts massively when it gets wet/dries, so cracking is inevitable if
it is a significant part of the mix (a little goes a long ways).  I've
been using it as an emulsifier in some experiemental floor mixes.  The big
advantages of cat litter are that it is ground up so it mixes readily, and
you can buy small quantities (10 to 50 lbs) at your local grocery store.