[Cob] straw V paper

Ernie Wisner ewisn at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 11:51:07 CDT 2004

having made paper i found that you can make paper just as easily with straw as you can wood. That aside; with all the cardboard that finds its way to landfills it would be an easy alternative to straw. the things that come to mind for me are: 1> water uptake 2> survivability (how long paper will last in the wall) 3> how much paper absorbs the water in the mix 4> how fast the paper dries out in the wall 5> width and length of the paper strands to use in the wall?

I will be interested in hearing how your test wall works out.
Ernie

The biggest disadvantage to using paper that I can see is that paper is
a recyclable product. As soon as you put it in cob, you can never again
turn it into more paper. Straw is (generally speaking) a waste product,
which might otherwise be burnt or tossed into a landfill.

Winning a competition: 200 dollars.
Finishing the race on your own terms: priceless