[Cob] How to measure heat inside oven or furnace?

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Nov 3 20:29:01 CST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Peter Kaulback wrote:

> I'm almost done my oven and am considering a rocket stove for a
> livestock area, heat is precious at lambing especially if it's damp :(
>
> I've always wondered how one might determine the temperature inside an
> oven or furnace, is there a special thermometer one can use?

A "pyrometer" (basically a high temperature electronic thermometer) can be
used to measure temperature, no idea what they cost these days.  There are
also some high temperature, optical thermometers (fairly low precision I
believe) I have seen which you aim at the object whose temperature you
wish to measure.  There is also the old fashioned way, a rough temperature
measurement can be acheived by looking at the color of the "glow" from a
hot object, I assume most people have seen steel in person or in
pictures, glowing anywhere from dull red to white, there are temperature
color charts available, and the temperature color scheme as I recall
applies to pretty much any material (though the natural color of the
material may interfere with accurate assessment of the heat color).
Unfortunately, I don't know of any color charts online for temperature
measurement, all the ones I found in a quick search were for image
processing and photography which while related, are not quite the same
thing.