[Cob] any ideas for building cob on a hill?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 21 08:17:09 CST 2004

Sounds like where I'm sitting right now!  The travel trailer is sitting
below the top of the circular driveway which is maybe 25 feet above (North
of) me. And this is the least likely to flood, won't need a 40-foot bridge
spot on my original 24 acres.  The opening to the septic tank (THAT was
mildly sloped enough to put in the drain field!) gets covered with gravel
all the time.

One of these years I may get around to building more or less what I
originally designed in the way of a studio for here.

Unfortunately it involves swales uphill to give me drainage going the way I
want it. Then a retaining wall (This needs to be checked out with an
engineer!).   THEN I think that the uphill wall needs to be sunk into the
hill, two-four feet.  Heavy duty drainage above the uphill retaining wall,
then a draining space, then the building wall on top of a--sorry--concrete
stem wall.

The trailer is actually sitting on both fill and cut where the driveway
people made a level place for it (didn't need to BUY fill, just use what
they'd cut out).  So I need to extend the level place out six or eight feet
towards the dry wash to the south, heavy duty rock-filled baskets (which
either are or are not called gabions, but "gabions" gives you the
information when you run a search)  that work both for drainage and form,
possibly with a hole for an underground water tank.  This is "talk to an
engineer" time as well.  (The person who I contacted when I first moved here
never came, and eventually went out of business.)

And even then I will end up with an oddly shaped trapezoidal building (hey,
but there will be a nice little patio overlooking the dry wash!).

I went with Christopher Alexander's admonition to build where you can SEE
the most beautiful place, not IN it.

For space--and time--reasons, I'm thinking compressed earth blocks, roof up
first, build to it.  But it's going to need a lot of concrete in the
foundations.  And LOTS of engineered drainage.

There has been someone on this list who was nuts about relieving hydraulic
pressure.  Engineering walls so they both have both enough purchase back
into the hill, AND enough drainage so that water pressure won't push it
over.  That, not washing away, is your main concern.

You can see the problem in the bulges that railroad tie walls make if there
are no deadmen (ties connected securely to the wall, but going perpendicular
to it back into the hill) in the design.  The wire baskets stepped back seem
to be doing fine so that the store below--WAY below--the Wal-Mart parking
lot in Florence seems secure.

Here is one picture, heavily altered, of rock-filled baskets on the
Tennessee river, the idea is to keep barge traffic and floods from dumping
some indian mounds into the river. (Part of the Shiloh national park)

http://groups.msn.com/ap615/newpicturesmidsept2002.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=202

Here is a (straight, this time) picture of parking lot of the pet store
below Walmart.  It's grown up so that steps the baskets make hardly show two
years later.

http://groups.msn.com/ap615/spring2002.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=141

(The rest of my driveway?  Close onto level all the way out to the road on
the downhill side!)

Oh, yes, and somebody built themselves a straw-bale vault using rock-filled
baskets as their foundation.

Greg McLeod writes:

There's a property that my wife and i really like but the problem is
that the only place to build on goes from 10 degree slope down for
about 20-25ft. Then it drops off on 30-40 degree slope down for
a long way.

My questions are:
how deep should one dig into the land to get a level
space versus using fill dirt to get a level space?

what precautions should be done to stablize the soil
downhill of the house so that it doesn't wash away,
taking our proposed beautiful cob house with it?