[Cob] My cob oven

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 21 08:50:54 CST 2004

Great!!

A roof would be BETTER than a tarp, IMHO.  A couple of people have had to
put in spacers so that condensation on the under side of the tarp can drain
off--or else they've regretted NOT doing that!  If it bothered you you could
hang something--cute shower curtains?--from the sides of the roof.

Do make sure, though that you won't set your roof on fire.  Lots of space,
metal roof, and/or even a (storebought?) chimney cap to spread the
flame/heat/sparks coming out of the chimney.

The Indians I knew in Mexico always burned the first batch of rolls in their
horno, it was a small test batch just for that reason.  But that oven was
massive enough that they put the last piece--a six foot long tamale--in to
cook about eight hours later, it was done but still quite warm when they
took it out the next morning.

Georgie wrote:

I finally got our oven pics up on the web:
http://www.busygirl.ca/oven/index.htm . We finished the oven a couple of
weeks ago, just in the nick of time before the weather really got cold. We
hope to get a roof over it before it snows. My question is this: even with a
roof, will the oven need to be tarped over the winter, or can it sit
uncovered, with the door on to keep snow out of the interior? I hate the
thought of looking out my back window at a big blue blob, so am hoping that
a roof will suffice.