[Cob] reinforcing!!

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Mon Nov 22 07:44:44 CST 2004

Cob is not going to stick to rebar worth a hoot. I have seen on
situation where rebar was coated with cement, then placed in cob dome
situation as cob sticks to cement pretty good.

I'd say going with round or curved shapes is a better bet for use of cob
and earthquake areas as well as keeping with the original ides of
building with cob. I Assuming that earthquakes are why you are trying to
reinforce the cob.

Not all that familiar with rammed earth but I believe the put some
cement in there earth mixture. Nader Kahlili has build stuctures using a
technique he calls superadobe. Which in essence is a free from rammed
earth type contruction (IMHO). It can be stablized or not. It has held
up quite well to earthquakes, but then that brings us back to round or
curved shapes again.

Pat Newberry
www.gypsyfarm.com