[Cob] Re: My cob oven

Georgie Donais georgie at busygirl.ca
Tue Nov 23 18:52:40 CST 2004

Amanda,

>A roof would be BETTER than a tarp, IMHO.  A couple of people have had to
>put in spacers so that condensation on the under side of the tarp can
>drain off--or else they've regretted NOT doing that!  If it bothered you
>you could hang something--cute shower curtains?--from the sides of the roof.

I wondered about that. Hopefully I'll get myself in gear to get that roof
built before the snow flies.

>Do make sure, though that you won't set your roof on fire.  Lots of space,
>metal roof, and/or even a (storebought?) chimney cap to spread the
>flame/heat/sparks coming out of the chimney.

I had planned to put the chimney out through the roof; do you think that
would be a problem? I'd buffer it with cob, build the chimney a little
higher to clear the roof, and then make a green roof. BTW, my husband stuck
his hand over the chimney when the fire was going full blast, and he said
it wasn't really that hot! Amazing how the oven must be sucking up the heat.

>The Indians I knew in Mexico always burned the first batch of rolls in
>their horno, it was a small test batch just for that reason.

Ah, so I'm actually following a tradition! We let the heat equalize for
half an hour before baking, but friends with an oven suggest more like an
hour or two. Guess I'll experiment with that.

Georgie
http://www.busygirl.ca/oven/index.htm