[Cob] Leaking Papercrete Roof

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 29 08:32:12 CST 2004

OUCH!

Probably have to redo that part of the floor.  Bleeping nuisance, but as
long as you have the same ingredients available, no big deal.  Maybe in a
shed, no big deal even if the mix is a bit different, especially in color.
May even be good that you haven't linseed oiled it to death.

Thompson's water seal? Elastomeric? those guys who claim that their
pond/roof liner is drinking water safe? (with or without an air space
between that and the papercrete--I'd think long and hard about with, but I'm
really quite allergic to molds--those guys advertise a lot in both garden
and home magazines--fine building, etc.--at last report, a couple of months
ago their web site was useless, but they WERE promising ANY DAY NOW)

Pack McKibben wrote:
HELP!  I built a papercrete roof for my cobwood shed
and now its leaking.  I used the water seal formula from
Eric Paterson, the papercrete house pioneer, of one
squeeze of 100% silicone caulk mixed with a gallon
of paint thinner.  I didn't top coat the sealed roof with
Elastomeric like he did though.  When I first sealed
the roof, it worked fine.  Water beaded up when it rained.
But now the papercrete is getting wet, holding the water,
and the water finds its way through the roof and into the shed.
Dripping from many spots during downpours.
Anyone have any ideas on how to get a better water seal?

Another problem I'm having from the leak is a floor that grows
grass.  I used horse manure in my final coat of poured adobe
flooring.  I guess there were grass seeds in with the manure.
Now that the floor is getting plenty of watering from the leaking
roof I have a nice "green" floor.  Sprouts are poping up everywhere.
There are holes forming from the constant drips too.  I haven't been
able to start sealing the floor with multiple coats of linseed oil.
Can all this be repaired and still turn out to be a nice looking earthen
floor?   You can see the roof at:
http://www.owlswamp.com/projects/eb_shed/rof.html#ph4
pack
www.owlswamp.com