[Cob] More on Cob vs Cement

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sat Dec 11 12:34:53 CST 2004

Most of us in the cob building movement love the curvilinear mode of
construction, both for strength and aesthetics.  Have you ever been in
a "round" building, or a cob house?  There is a sense of flowing form,
"coziness", comfort - all qualities which can't be engineered or
quanitified.  Still, many cob cottages in Wales are rectilinear,
gaining their strength from being massively overbuilt - 3 foot thick
walls!

I wonder why we are so concerned about the potential failure of cob
(under a massive 9.0 quake) after just one seismic test.  Was the BC
test conducted in a manner representative of quality cob construction?
Any test of a cob structure must account for numerous variables.  I
have several questions regarding the BC seismic test:

1. Why was there failure laterally, between cob "layers"?
2. Was the straw sewn through layers with "cobbers thumbs" as Cob
Cottage Company teaches?
3. How much straw was added?  How was the ratio determined (test
bricks, etc.)?
4. What was the clay/sand ration?  How was the ratio determined (test
bricks, etc.)?
5. Did the layers dry between application?  If so, were the surfaces
built with "ribs" to allow keying between layers?

Ianto and Linda emphasize the aforementioned techniques when they teach
"Oregon cob", which they have developed to response to the seismic
concerns of our region.  Was Ianto consulted on the method of
construction for the BC test?  BTW: Have seismic tests been done on
rammed cement-soil houses, or strawbale houses?  I'd be interested in
these results for comparison.

One correction for Layth:  Concrete construction commonly contains
15-20% portland cement, 80% aggregate sand/gravel, not 100% portland
cement.  So some cement-soil construction actually approaches the same
amount of portland cement as concrete!  Ianto Evans oft quotes that
cement kilns produce 10% of the worlds greenhouse gasses.  Hospital
waste (including radioactive material) is sometimes used to fire the
kilns, resulting with cement that contains radioactive material!  I
think we natural builders should use as little as possible.  In some
cases it is necessary, such as outdoor patios, foundations, etc.

Lastly, I wonder if the need to conform to conventional rectilinear
construction so as to be more acceptable to the "general public" should
be a goal for natural builders.  I happen to believe most of the public
would love to live in a curvilinear house, and once exposed to a cozy
cob cottage wouldn't think twice about abandoning their stick framed
box.  One anecdote: we have hosted the Seattle "Tribes Project" tour
with an overnight stay in the cob Kiva at Ahimsa Sanctuary for the was
four years.  This group is a multicultural theatre troupe of inner city
high school kids who present a performance on race and empowerment.
Without exception, each year the kids are amazed, ecstatic about the
beauty Kiva.  One young man even burst out saying, "I'm going to come
back and get married here!" ( http://www.tribesproject.org )

I encourage all natural builders to continue thinking "outside the
box".  Sometimes the coblist seems to have a lot of conjecture,
speculation, intellectual ponderings, too much for my taste.  At those
times I just want to tell us all to get out there and get our hands and
feet in the mud, to get building and post some pictures...I'll be
getting some up of the Kiva soon!  Let's all keep cobbing!

Blessings,
Ocean

Steward, Ahimsa Sanctuary http://www.peacemaking.org
Proprietor, Intaba's Restaurant