[Cob] Re: How about another BC test, on sheer strength?

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sun Dec 12 00:37:47 CST 2004

Hi Ian,

Thanks for elaborating on your test.  Sounds very thorough!  I wonder
if the skinny walls on your scale model actually were weaker than 24"
full sized walls, given that real walls have much more straw in cross
section than your scale.

While we're on the subject of materials testing, another test I'm very
interested in seeing done isn't seismic, but rather sheer.  Just how
good is straw fiber in preventing sheer failure?  How about building a
very beefed up cob beam, maybe 2'x2' cross section and seeing what its
sheer strength is?  Since many of us are building in the range of 18" -
24" thick walls, this info might be of great import, esp. when the
question of rebar gets raised (and I am so often asked by the general
public if our cob walls at the restaurant have rebar in them!)

Oh yeah, since the roof didn't collapse on your test, I'd be very
interested in the overbuilt roof connection - how did you attach?
Deadmen to round rafters?

Ocean