[Cob] frozen cob

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 27 14:44:08 CST 2004

and I replied just to him.  Oh, well.  I've put more information here.

This site is mostly cordwood, which the wall in question is--and they have a
forum.  And they're a lot farther north than Phil and I are.  I haven't
looked, but they may have already run into the answer.

http://www.daycreek.com/

I'd think it would depend on if the interior of the cob was certifiably dry.
  I've got places in my driveway that were saturated when it got cold last
Wednesday, they extruded water and chert so that there were inch-long
ice-needles coming out of the ground, now I can stomp on the ground and
leave about an inch-deep footprint.

If that happened to the wall, then I'd seriously consider dismatling the
wall back to the area where it didn't happen.

Apparently this has happened to pounded tire houses as well.  Depending on
how much was piled on top of that, it might be even more of a mess.
Phil wrote
South facing wall took rain in a heavy wind, temp dropped to well below
freezing and the cob has gone mushy/crumbly. Any ideas for a protective
coating? I'm suggesting a simple lime plaster to the homeowner but would
like more input.