[Cob] Re: Rocket stove question

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 10:04:13 CST 2004

Sorry about the extra (non-) message.  I don't know why I hit send instead
of back!

What I gather is that the rocket stove works because of the physics of
chimneys. The whole idea is to get enough velocity in the first one to push
the smoke out through the long horizontal one--not something smoke does
without being given a serious push.  Also important is the VERY hot fire to
burn up all the creosote and other nasties.  Otherwise, horizontal or long
slanted flues tend to accumulate creosote and have--we don't want to even
think about them--chimney fires.

Putting an oven in the system somewhere sounds like a nice idea, but it does
have to take into account those two (one and a half?) principles.

Ed asked:
     Has any one ever heard of a cob oven attached to the stack of a rocket
stove? The problem with the rocket stove is the small size of the fire box.
was thinking of building a cob oven with a 6 inch chimney attached from the
back
to the vertical stack of a rocket and then through the bench in a
conventional manner.