[Cob] cob/earth oven also heating hot tub intake?

Tys Sniffen tys at ideamountain.com
Thu Dec 30 13:28:13 CST 2004

Hello all.

Along the same lines of the hope to do two things with one fire, I wanted to
check in with this group on a concept I'm developing. (on paper right now)

I would like to build a cob baking oven and run copper piping through it,
probably in the middle of the 'fire box' area (so it'd look like a rack in
the middle of the oven) and this copper pipe would have water flowing
through it that would be attached to the intake/outtake of a hot tub. I'm
sure most of you know about wood fired hot tubs with the stove as a separate
unit (not a submersible).   The questions arise:

1. Could the cob oven handle the temperature differences possibly created by
the water flowing through it?

2. Would having a 'rack' of tubes (I imagine a zig zag pattern) going
through the middle of the oven mess up the fire? The baking?

3. Am I just being too darn lazy?

Cheers,

Tys

Tys Sniffen