[Cob] interior walls

aaron allen cobmailbox at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 19:29:40 CST 2004

with post and beam construction it would be very easy
to build cob walls as infill which would be one solid
wall from exterior through to interior.  especialy on
the south side of your house as this will allow you to
take advantage of solar energy to heat your living
space through the mass in that wall.  there are many
different plasters which would transform the rough cob
wall into a smooth and decorative surface, not to
mention the sculptural posibilities that a cob wall
would give you to carve personalised niches and built
in shelving.  the one problem I could forsee is in
joining a cement foundation to a cob wall.  although I
am aware of flashing that can seperate the cement from
cob contact, cement absorbs water with no problem
while cob will fail catastrophicaly at critical levels
of water saturation.  also consider the cost
financialy, and enviromentaly, of pouring a stemwall
the width you would need to build cob above it.  why
not use a stone foundation, as it would not wick the
water upward.
aaron
cobmailbox at yahoo.com