Fw: [Cob] cob/earth oven also heating hot tub intake? Boiler parts

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 3 11:17:30 CST 2005

Thanks Bill.  I love your posts.  You're right here--I might steal the boy
scout hot water heater idea (does the one-way valve prevent water from going
back into the bottom of the bucket?), BUT....

The problem with making an earth oven also heat a hot tub, though, is that
an earth oven gets a whole lot hotter for a whole lot longer than what we
want for our hot tub.  (finally cooling to 150 degrees [F] after 18 hours or
so for a BIG oven).  How (and especially where) do we keep the water
circulating throughout this period?  Letting the in-oven pipe dry out sounds
like a bad idea, closing it off so it behaves like a small pressure cooker,
ditto.  A whole other hot-water tank is possible, big enough that it won't
get to boiling.  Just like the PV people sometimes heat water with their
excess electricity.  But this was supposed to be simple and practical, not
with a maze of valves and tanks that will hold near boiling water and so on.