[Cob] continuous foundation reinforcement

susan macias smacias at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 3 13:47:42 CST 2005

Hello all,

I am about to get started on an approximately 11-foot diameter circular cob building - off-grid and under 120 interior square feet (no permit necessary.)  I plan to dig a footing trench, fill it with concrete to grade level, and build a stone stemwall above that.  I'm building in earthquake country- the southernmost Sierra foothills at 3,500 ft elevation.

I'd like to use as much on-site material as possible, but part of me also wants to make it as solid as possible and document the process for future interactions with building officials.

My question is: What do you think of using barbed wire as reinforcement in the concrete instead of rebar?  Any ideas?

-Susan