[Cob] cob/earth oven also heating [other stuff]

Nicholson, Louise Nicholson at sccompanies.com
Tue Jan 4 11:19:26 CST 2005

-----Original Message-----
More short on space than lazy?

-----New Message----------

Or for me, just crazy :)

Ok, I don't know enough about earth ovens or hot tubs to give a sensible
answer to Tys' question, so I'll ask one of my own.

I was reading (well, ok, looking at the pictures) my Backwoods Home magazine
last night and it showed a big, stone fireplace with a shower stall built
into the other side of it.  That way the fireplace warmed up the shower
stall in the winter time, and in the summer time, it stayed nice and cool.

I'm wondering if that would work with a big cob oven?  I would have to
protect the cob that was exposed to water, but I'm sure that could be done
with, maybe, lime plaster?  We also have LOTS of rocks on our property, but
building a huge stone masonry oven sounds like lots of frustration, trying
to put an entire puzzle together - but might be able to make the actual
shower stall out of stone.  I'm fascinated with the idea, but my fiance
dismissed the whole idea as impossible.

Unfortunately, words like 'impossible' didn't end up in my vocabulary.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Louise