[Cob] RE: cobbing in CT.

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 10 14:51:48 CST 2005

I have a couple of friends who use ram pumps--in one case it's quiet, very
very inexpensive, and (potentially) made with off-the-shelf parts, because
the owner's a dedicated scrounger and tinkerer.  The other person bought his
from the high school shop teacher.

Head is just about as important as flow.  Being able to run your pipe from
the dam to the pump where it won't always get washed away by the wet-weather
stream after a couple of inches of rain is good too.  I'm lacking all three
of those at one time of year or another.

But I still want an earth oven down overlooking that stream!

Marlin wrote:

A water ram will work if there's a very successful spring below the house.
We had a damn at the spring coming out of the rocks and then used a Hydroram
(water ram) to drive the water up to the house cistern....then the house was
pressurized with a tank, but the spring was 1000 feet away from the cistern
and 30-40 feet, in elevation , below it. The key is to have enough flow at
the spring to create a damn....