[Cob] Lime

Jon Kerr jonskerr at visi.com
Wed Jan 12 02:06:11 CST 2005

Aha! It's not just me!

It depends on the quantity you want of course, but I actually found
pickling lime at the grocery store a block from my house. Right next to
the ATM. This would only really be good if you're covering an earth
oven, not a house, otherwise, here are the responces I got when I had
the same trouble:
-
a) avoid quicklime. If you JUST HAVE to experiment with it--and it's
dangerous to turn it into slaked lime--try water treatment plants.

b) ask around.  Ask for Hydrated Lime.  The farm bureau co-op in my
county, and the county to the south do not ever carry the hydrated
lime. The TSC--don't know about the co-op--in the county to the East
only has it in the spring.   I was getting right frustrated by all this
until some people living in the--very tiny--county to the north said,
"our co-op has it all the time."   And they do.

-and-

When I first started looking for hydrated lime I didn't see any around.
   Then I looked again and now I find it wherever cement is sold to
builders.   Have you checked with plaster suppliers?  Bricklayers?
Those guys use it all the time.

You REALLY do not need quicklime.   I think you can ignore the lime
putty proponents as well.   Check Charmaine Taylor's site
(www.dirtcheapbuilder.com).

I'm sure the lime you want is out there, just labelled and packaged in
a way that you are not seeing.
--
The above comments came from Amanda Pack and Lance Taylor respectively.

Jon