[Cob] question re using1. Lime 2.Formwork 3.pine chips 4 support for walls

Bob & Lorraine farmlink at bigpond.com
Sun Jan 16 07:21:18 CST 2005

Hi,

I've new to the list.

1.	Can anyone tell me if lime can be used in a cob mix, or is it
only used when no straw is used with the earth?  If not, why not,
please?
2.	My husband is concerned about getting walls straight and intends
using flat metal formwork.  Is this still considered cob, as the mix is
likely to get pushed/poured/pressed into the molds, or would it then be
a type of rammed earth? Would it then need the hard ramming that is
given to rammed earth?
3.	We have heard that in some parts of Germany cob is made with
wood chips instead of straw.  Has anyone any practical experience of
this and the advantages or disadvantages?  We have access to plenty of
pine chips and pine shreds. Would pine wood be OK?
4.	Using cob, can the walls be monolithic, or do they need supports
of some kind to give them strength?

I look forward to your helpful comments.

Sincerely,

Lori

  English Language Farmstay Adventure

                 Kangaroo Island