[Cob] question re using1. Lime 2.Formwork 3.pine chips 4 support for walls

phil phawn1 at excite.com
Sun Jan 16 08:47:19 CST 2005

Bob & Lorraine asked:

>>1.Can anyone tell me if lime can be used in a cob mix
--We used lime in our cob mortar for cordwood. It helped it to set faster and become a good bit harder. The goal was to make it more resistant to water damage. We added about 5% dry to the mix.

>>3.We have heard that in some parts of Germany cob is made with<br>wood chips
--If I were going to add anything that small to my cob, I would only use it as an infill.

>>4.Using cob, can the walls be monolithic
--Properly built cob walls require no other structure to make them stable. Some locales, however, may require that you use a structure to support your roof. If a permit is required in your area this may be the case, otherwise, save wood.

Phil Hawn, President
The North Carolina Natural Building Coalition
http://naturalbuilder.org
cob, strawbale, cordwood and other sustainable earthbuilding techniques

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com