[Cob] FW: Cob Code Research Project, Plus ??'s

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Feb 9 01:36:32 CST 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, David Boyer wrote:

Hi David,

I think I can answer some of your questions.

[snip]
> with posting. Since I signed up to coblist 3 days ago I have got the
> message "Bug in mailman version 2.1.4" when trying to access the
> Coblist.  And with viewing coblist archives I am  only able to view the
> yrs 1996-2003....

This was a one of a kind occurance.  On very rare occasions there have
been other problems with the list in the past (perhaps once every few
years), and probably will be in the future.  The newer list archives are
tied into the same software that gave you the "Bug" message above, and so
were unavailable until the problem was fixed.  The newer archives are
available again at:

   http://www.deatech.com/pipermail/coblist/

[snip]
> 1.)  Has a residential cob building ever been permitted in this county?

To the best of my knowledge, no permitted "residential" cob structure has
ever been built in Oregon.  At least one has been permitted as an
agricultural building.  I am assuming here that you mean "load bearing"
(i.e. the cob provides structural walls), I think I have heard of one or
two that were built as post and beam with cob "infill" (which is typically
how strawbale is done, and in my opinion a really bad idea for cob both
from a structural and environmental perspective)

> 2.)  Is there an adobe provision/section of the code that can be
> applied to cob construction in this jurisdiction?

Oregon has adopted most if not all of the new International Building Code.
The code with any Oregon modifications should be available at some
libraries.  Oregon has a fairly uniform statewide building code, there
are provisions in the law which allow counties to override parts of the
code under some circumstances, though whether or not the counties of
interest have done so you would need to check (in my experience, they just
use the code as-is).  Frankly, since building officials from one county to
the next do vary widely, this will probably be more important then the
provisions of the building code, some will be supportive, others are
obstructionists, and since the wording of the code is such that building
officials are given almost absolute power (regardless of what and how you
build), the attitude of the building officials will probably have far more
impact then the actual local code.  Last I heard, there was cob friendly
building official in Linn County hoping for someone to come to him with
plans for a cob building.

> 3.)  Is there an owner-builder provision in the code that can be
> applied to permit cob?

Owner-builder provisions in Oregon are fairly limited relative to what is
available in many other states, I think most if not all of it is laid out
here (unless there is more in the international building code which I
haven't had time to sit down and read yet):

   http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/455.html

> 4.)  What is the largest code-exempt  residential structure allowed in
> this jurisdiction?

There is no such thing as a "code-exempt residential structure" in Oregon,
there are provisions for unpermitted accessory/utility buildings with up
to 200 interior square feet, check the code for specific requirements.
Aside from code, there may also be restrictions on number and locations of
such structures including things like property line setbacks.

> 5.)  What exactly would you require to permit a cob structure under the
> "alternative materials, design and methods of construction" section of
> the code?

That is up to the building officials, typically it requires and architect
or architectural engineer stamp the plans (which means they certify that
the building meets code).

> 6.)   Is there any easy approach you can recommend to getting a cob
> structure permitted here? (ha ha ha)

Lots of money, good architectural engineer, good attorney, take a vacation
while they fight it out :-)

> 7.)  Does this jurisdiction permit compost toilets? What are all the
> permitted gray water and blackwater options?

Last I checked, compost toilets could be allowed (and have been), but they
won't let you do gray water other than a standard septic drain field (kind
of defeats one major reason for a compost toilet).

> 8.)  What are your jurisdictional requirements and limits on living in
> a travel trailer/motorhome on the property while building a cob
> residence?

I think there is a standard six or nine month limit, it's online somewhere
(probably on the same state of oregon web site I referenced above).

> 9.)   Are insulative R-values required for a cob structure? Can a
> thermal storage U-values be considered in lieu of, or in combination
> with, R values?

This one is going to be a little vague, the owner-builder stuff above
could be interpreted to allow quite a bit of latitude in this area or not.
Other aspects of the code require it for any permitted residential
structure.

> I  intend to present  to these local inspectors/officials some
> position papers from the President of the ICBO about permitting natural
> building processes (cob?). And I want to have some published engineering
> data/literature to present defining/outlining  the structural integrity
> of cob (can anyone tell me where to find it?).

This is in rather short supply, though a few people have been researching
it at different Universities.  The recent work at the University of
British Columbia in Canada comes to mind in paticular, though I'm not
sure what information is available from them.  Check the coblist archives
in the August-October 2004 range for some postings on this.

> One final question I have:does anyone know an engineer within a 75
> mile radius of Salem who is enthusiastic about cob or who has
> certified/stamped/approved a cob building plan?

Not aware of anyone local who really fills the bill, though some have
expressed interest.

The above is not intended to discourage you from contacting building
officials, just to highlight what information is already available.  You
might also be interested in reading this:

   http://www.deatech.com/natural/articles/code_alternatives.html

NOTE: I'm located in Philomath, Oregon.

FWIW.