[Cob] RE: 'temp roof comment'

Marlin lightearth at onebox.com
Wed Feb 9 18:25:21 CST 2005

I should have been more clear, sorry.

agree that the temp roof structure should be sound,,,,also what sound means depends on your locale. Here (Wisconsin) we'd need tie downs for tornadic-type weather but not probably plan for earthquakes.....I always like a lot of bracing too (can drive people nuts but it def. makes it stronger to triangulate)

BUT, what the temp roof does is gets it out of the way of the wall building, puts a lot of potentially bad building dayz (sometimes weeks here) back into work days under your roof and makes a readymade porch all in one swoop. By the end of a lot of building projects the roof is often a big annoyance and this way it's built first. Wonder if it would promote better planning right from the start of a project ?("yahoo, let's go start throwing Cob down and figure out a roof plan later....";-)

AsShannon pointed out, it could therefore stand as a 'gazebo' if the building was never even built (store people, materials etc. out of the rain, sun etc. too)

So, in summary, the "temp" was the fact that the final support (and additional tie downs into the cob wall) would come from the wall built later.

Marlin

           info at outtathebox.org
           www.outtathebox.org
"There are solutions to the major problems of our time, some of them even simple. But they require a radical shift in our perceptions, our thinking, and our values."
   - [Fritjof Capra]