[Cob] structural engineer

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 18 18:30:40 CST 2005

The best advice I can give is to get at least one copy of that book for
structural engineers on adobe and straw bale, print out the adobe code--too
lazy to look it up right now, but it seems like both an Arizona and a
California version are around on the internet--and then see if one of the
people you do know is remotely interested in working with you.  You might be
pleasantly surprised.

On another list (mostly very conventional) an architect says that his
engineer rarely charges more than a couple of hundred dollars.  But his
plans may look a whole lot better than anything we're likely to draw up.

and have fun digging out your oven.

Looks like I'm going to be able to have mains electricity at the house.  Not
sure if I'm happy or not about this, though.

Two poles to power, I'd forgotten I don't have to pay for the first one.  My
thought was that if it ran to $3000 for poles alone, I'd go PV.  And here
it's under a thousand, not too much clearing of trees either.

Copper Harding wrote:

I'm hoping that someone on this list knows of a
structural engineer that is licensed in Minnesota and
is friendly to alternative building methods.  If so,
please contact me off-list.  Or, for that matter,
someone who might know of someone...

I know a few engineers myself but the ones I know, and
have worked with, will tell me that I'm "off my
rocker" when I bring up alternative buiding methods.
SO I'm looking for a friendly one.

Thanks,

Copper

P.S.  Thanks for the advice on the cold-weather cob
oven.  I go to dig out the meter + of snow today!!
Wish me luck!!