[Cob] AE contents

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sat Feb 19 12:21:00 CST 2005

Hi Pack--   you need the regular Henry 107 brand   it is only water-
bentonite clay and and  tar ( asphalt)

The Henry 107 or Blackjack brand fibered emulsion is the same-- no
vinyl etc.   the MSDS on  the low tech AE is non toxic and non off
gassing. [ it does have a smell upon opening the can, but it
dissapates...everything "offgasses"...even  BUTTER has molecules you
can smell  : > ]

basically  asphalt  emulsion is  droplets of tar and clay which will
stick to any dry surface once the water evaporates in the mix.  I DO
like it for many areas where water proofing and resistance is needed.
adobe  stabilized today  by manufacture s contain 5% AE, and many
concrete slabs are coated with it to prevent mositure to come up thru
the slab, it has been recommend by stawbuilders  for  floor slabs.

there will be those  who say not to use it...but pick your battles-- if
you have used cement for anything you are gone non-natural.  The 1920's
Rubberslate formulas have AE as a prime component with shredded
cardboard and clay ( sounds like papercrete eh?) to make durable
cushinony floors and water proof plasters.

A friend saw my experiments and used it in earthen plasters around
windows and doors on the weather side of her bale house. sticky and
messy if more than 20% is used...but it does the job.