[Cob] just cob until it feels right

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 08:00:36 CST 2005

All other things being equal, well, yes, your idea holds up.  But both
"sand" and "clay" can be quite different things.

But when I mix here, with store-boughten (fine, pure, sharp) sand and pretty
pure clay, it feels right with 3 sand to 1 clay.  At a friend's house site,
it was 2 (pretty coarse) sand with 1 (right sandy) clay.

Karl wrote:
while attending a cob party (me learning to cob) a question arose. if the
sand is course do you need to add more or less clay proportionally than fine
sand?

borrowing a frequent analogy
if
the clay is mortar
the sand is brick
the straw is rebar

then, logically
if the brick is really large, less mortar would be used to assemble a given
wall?

or does that not hold true in this case?

anyway we just mixed until it felt right--which ultimately "is" the right
answer since these ingredients don't have (laboratory level of quality
control standards) and adaptability to different site ingredients is what is
most important.

but, the question still remains--does my adopted analogy hold up?

i'm sure that i'm over-thinking the day but these kind of unanswered
questions keep me awake.

k-)