[Cob] Dry mixing & Cement Mixers

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Thu Mar 3 18:18:52 CST 2005

Dry clay and sand in a mixer will result in clay balls, unless you're
using powdered clay from a pottery supply store.

The only luck we've had with a cement mixer (different than a mortar
mixer, which has paddles) is to first soak the clay then whip it into a
thick runny slip - note, there are no clay balls in the slip.

Then dump the slip into a cement mixer, and gradually add sand to the
desired ratio.  The clay/sand mix will be wetter here than you expect
with a foot-mixed batch.  Then throw in the straw, which will absorb a
lot of the excess water.

Good luck!

Ocean Liff-Anderson
_____