[Cob] Dry mixing & Cement Mixers familiar methods

karl and tabitha o'melay karl at omelay.com
Fri Mar 4 18:06:26 CST 2005

although I'm also relatively new to cob, frankly I'm glad to interact
with and read the interactions from this living source. if all of this
data were simply collected categorized and published via some database
or reference book, the communal soul would be lost. As conversations-
some of them topically iterative- float through i get new ideas that
none of the books on cob i've read have inspired.
reinventing the wheel with newer technology and different perspectives
can make a better wheel. becky bee mixing cob with a tarp is good
example--since tarps are relatively new to the world of mixing clay,
sand, water & straw.
I'm not suggesting not documenting great ways to cob--i just would hate
to miss people trying to convince me that their way is a really really
great way. since i might discard a method I simply read about but when
a passionate voice tells me of a method i'm much more likely to try
it--or worse yet, i'd hate to miss some of the wonderful tangents that
this living source has sent me on (however long and involved they might
have been).
there are great books on cob and plenty of cob classes that usually are
(however loosely) based on outlines and linear recipes.
i personally view this list as a support mechanism to the fore
mentioned books & classes--better yet, it is community.

k-)