[Cob] re: building east of the mississippi

francine fran2000a1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 00:23:18 CST 2005

This is probably what I will wind up renting, but my
brother in law who is over 200 lbs will be using the ditch
witch and any larger equipment, lucky for me.  When I first
began clearing away the building site, I got a young man
with a back hoe to come and help.  Unfortunately, those
things move a lot of dirt and fast, it was more than I
bargained for and now I am having to do more work to
correct the mistakes.  It wasn't his fault, just me
underestimating what that thing would do.  Now I know why
the books recommend using hand tools and working slowly.

The auger sounds too dangerous for me.  My neighbor has a
tractor and he may be able to give me more advice on that.
Thanks for mentioning it.  I am in North East corner of MS
and our soil here is a good mix of clay and sand, 1 part
clay to 2 parts sand.  There is a sand pit that I will haul
from for adding to that.  My building site is on a slope
with a mix of soil and some gravel, it drains very well and
isn't that hard to dig, unless I run into a major vein of
clay, and that does happen.  I am wondering if that clay
might be a problem for the ditch witch.

<snip>
> I'd hate to try to do four or five passes to make a
> wider trench with
> it.  This was a trailer-mounted, self-propelled walk
> behind job, ran over a
> hundred dollars for the half/day.  There ARE bigger ones,
> but this is what
> you are likely to find for rent around.
<snip>

God Bless America