[Cob] Silverfish, Tornadoes, and Humidity

CarmenKittieCat at aol.com CarmenKittieCat at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 15:44:55 CST 2005

I am in St. Louis, MO, USA, considering building a cob house for many
reasons (and there are so many...), but my fiance and I are wondering about a  few
things. I have searched the Internet but haven't been able to find anything
thus far about these particular topics.

First, I read this page: _http://www.weblife.org/cob/cob_061.html#termites_
(http://www.weblife.org/cob/cob_061.html#termites)  where  Becky Bee discusses
potential problems with termites and silverfish. She offered  a suggestion for
preventing termite problems, but then went on to describe a  problem someone
has with silverfish, and she said she knew of no "nontoxic"  solution. How
common is the silverfish problem and has anyone yet found a  nontoxic solution to
the challenge?

And then, what about tornado resistance? Given that the roof might  come off
during a tornado, how would the building itself hold up? Tornadoes are  rather
unpredictable, but generally speaking, with no regard to the potential  rain
involved, how well do curved cob walls hold up to tornadic winds or the
associated high winds in nearby ares during a tornado?

Finally, humidity. I have read that the cob walls are very slow to  respond
to temperature change, etc., but I am concerned about humidity--not rain  so
much as the "thick" air, you know what I mean, and for extended periods  of
time. In the summer we can have weeks of H-E-double-hockeysticks where  the
humidity drives the heat index very high, day after day. Does the  humidity permeate
the cob walls at all? Not to mention the plaster, how  does that hold up? Can
humidity be a problem over time, even though it's  merely one season out of
the year?

Thank you!
Carmen